How To Know If You Have Developed Hernia
The apparently innocent term "hernia" can indeed be appalling at times. Hernia is most common in males than in females, but females are not absolutely out of its nasty grips. Females also go through a lot of trouble due to various types of hernia. The most common type of hernia is Inguinal Hernia which is mostly seen in men. Hernia operation falls under general surgery and when you need to undergo general surgery, the best general surgery hospital in Ghaziabad is Santosh Hospitals with surgeons who have years of expertise. Hernia surgery is one of the most common surgeries performed everywhere in the world. In the US alone, every year, more than one million hernia surgeries are performed.
What is a hernia? What are its different types?
Hernia is the condition when an organ or a fatty tissue pushes its way through a weakness in the muscle or even fascia which is connective tissue, responsible for holding the organ or the fatty tissue firmly in its position. As stated earlier inguinal hernia is the most common one which happens when the intestine or bladder comes out through a weak area in the abdominal wall and protrude into the inguinal canal which is in the groin region.
After abdominal surgery, some people experience incisional hernia. Obese and elderly people, who have undergone abdominal surgery, must be aware of this one as they are prone to this type of hernia. Generally, a little bit of exercise after the surgery reduces the chances of this, being inactive after surgery is dangerous. In the case of femoral hernia, the intestine blocks the way of the femoral artery by getting into the canal in the upper thigh. Generally speaking, pregnant women and obese ones who have given birth multiple times are mostly affected by this one. An umbilical hernia is mostly seen in newborns and overweight women who have had many children. Hiatal hernia pushes its way through the hiatus and leads to tremendous pain. Hiatus is a passage or a natural fissure in the diaphragm through which the esophagus passes.
Symptoms of hernia
Some of the most common symptoms of a hernia include the following -
- You will notice that the problematic area is bulging out or there is a lump. Let us take an inguinal hernia, for example, you will feel a lump on any one side of your pubic bone, just at the junction of the groin and the thigh. You will feel heaviness and extra pressure in your groin area. It can also lead to bowel obstruction in an extreme case.
- Another interesting aspect that you will notice is that the lump might disappear once you lie down. Again you will be able to feel it when you bend or cough or sit or stand.
- In the case of hiatal hernia you might experience heartburn, might have difficulty in swallowing food accompanied by pain in the chest.
- Many people don’t understand they have hernia until and unless they go for a routine medical check-up.
- If your hernia is severe then you might even get fever along with nausea, vomiting, and extreme pain.
Whatever your situation is, do not neglect hernia and let it aggravate. In many cases, tweaking the lifestyle along with medication may help a lot, but ultimately if you want to get rid of this problem then surgery might be the only available option.
For top-class treatment for hernia, visit Santosh Hospitals in Ghaziabad. This hospital is well-known for its amazing infrastructure as well as the team of expert general surgeons and consultants who are the best in the country.