MIS-C stands for Multisystem Inflammatory syndrome in children. It is a severe medical condition that mostly occurs with COVID-19. Children with MISC suffer from inflammation of several organs, including the heart, lungs, brain, eyes, blood vessels, etc.
Top Pediatric Hospital in Ghaziabad says that MIS-C is not a disease but a syndrome, which makes it difficult to know what exactly is causing it.
Symptoms like MIS-C are rare in adults and are called MIS-A. These syndromes are rare and are treated with medical aid in most cases. However, in some children, the condition keeps getting worse. Experts across the country are studying its causes and risks.
Symptoms of MIS-C
Even though not much is known about MIS-C yet, there are a few symptoms you need to be wary of. If any child shows any of the following symptoms, reach out for medical help.
- Fever for over 24 hours
- Pain in stomach
- Red eyes
- Swelling in limbs
- Swelling in lips or tongue
- Headache and dizziness
- Rapid Breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Change in the skin tone of lips or nails.
- Inability to stay awake
- Severe stomach ache
Causes of MISC
Studies are still in progress, and the cause for MIS-C is not clear, but as per the doctors of a pediatric hospital in Delhi NCR, it develops due to the immune system weakening because of Covid-19.
Prevention of MISC
Given below are a few preventive measures of COVID-19 from the best children hospital in Ghaziabad to keep a child from catching the virus and further developing MIS-C:
- Clean Hands- Instruct children to wash their hands with soap frequently to keep their hands clean.
- Social Distancing- Do not let children go out unless it is an absolute necessity. And when they are out, teach them to maintain an appropriate distance from others.
- Wear masks- When in public places, whether indoor or outdoor, the risk for COVID-19 transmission is very high. You and your child must be wearing a mask that covers the mouth and nose properly.
- Keep away from sick people- Keep your kids away from anyone sick. Even if you have caught COVID-19, do not come in contact with your child.
- Use sanitizers and disinfectants- Teach kids to sanitize their hands whenever they touch something others might have touched. Also, disinfect all the high-touch surfaces at home, such as switches, remotes, doorknobs, faucets, etc.
- Wear clean clothes- Dirty clothes may contain dangerous viruses and may lead to infection—Wash clothes after every wear.
- Avoid touching Face- Touching nose, eyes, or mouth can result in the transmission of COVID-19, and to stop MIS-C, you need to stop COVID-19.
Complications in MISC
Doctors consider MIS-C to be fatal if not diagnosed at an early stage. It can lead to problems in the lungs, heart, eyes, kidneys, etc. It can result in permanent damage or even death.
If you notice any of the symptoms that are related to MIS-C, reach out to Santosh Hospital, the best children's hospital in Ghaziabad. We have a team of specialists who are experts in treating various medical conditions in children. Our doctors are compassionate and always ready to help you.