Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that appears mostly in late teens or early adulthood. The condition impacts a person’s thinking, emotions, and behaviour and even adversely affects routine activities and social interactions. Though it is a lifelong condition, the symptoms can be properly managed with timely diagnosis and treatment. If any of your family members exhibit Schizophrenia-like symptoms, you need to consult a reputed Psychiatric Hospital in NCR and get a thorough diagnosis and treatment plan.
Common symptoms of Schizophrenia
Persons with Schizophrenia may display abnormal behaviour at a young age, while in other patients, symptoms may manifest suddenly in adulthood.
The symptoms usually observed include:
- Unclear speech that is hard for people to grasp
- An inability to focus on routine tasks
- Not being able to express emotions properly
- Showing a disconnection with reality, having hallucinations and an irrational imagination
- A feeling of demotivation or anxiety
- Difficulty in sleeping
If you know anyone displaying these symptoms, take that person for a checkup at the Top Psychiatric Hospital in Ghaziabad and get a proper evaluation.
Causes of Schizophrenia
The disorder is known to be caused by a combination of genetic factors, chemical imbalances, and environmental conditions.
The common causes are:
- Hereditary: A person may suffer from Schizophrenia, if any of his parents have a history of the disorder
- Neurotransmitter imbalance: It may develop due to imbalances in the brain’s chemicals like dopamine and serotonin.
- Other factors: The disease may occur due to reasons like mental trauma suffered in childhood, a history of drug use, and birth-related or pregnancy complications.
Possible treatment methods for Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia patients have to deal with the condition lifelong, but their symptoms are manageable, and hospitalization can be prevented. The treatment requires the expertise of a qualified psychiatrist, along with a psychologist and a trained psychiatric nurse.
- Medication: Antipsychotic medications are the commonly prescribed drugs for Schizophrenic patients. The doctor will aim to control the symptoms with minimum doses and use a combination of different drugs. He may also prescribe other medicines that complement the antipsychotic drugs like antidepressants. These drugs often cause side effects in patients causing them to avoid taking them regularly. In some cases, doctors may administer drugs in injection form.
- Counseling: Along with medication, people with this condition also require special counseling to improve their social skills, increase their self-confidence, and motivate them to set life goals and achieve them. Such counseling can be given by trained psychologists or other specialists like psychotherapists.
- Support of family and friends: The doctor will also involve the family members and other close people as part of the treatment. He will educate the family members about all the aspects of the illness so that they can support the patient and help him cope socially. The patient also needs to receive training in social skills and get support for employment in suitable jobs.
With regular monitoring and frequent assessment, people with Schizophrenia can manage their condition and lead active and productive lives. Visit Santosh Hospital, the Top Psychiatric Hospital in Ghaziabad, if any member in your family has symptoms of Schizophrenia. The hospital has well-qualified and experienced psychiatrists who will employ the latest techniques for a thorough assessment and treatment.